Advertisement

raw beets made my throat freak out!

topic posted Tue, September 16, 2008 - 1:09 AM by  madame7
Share/Save/Bookmark
I have eaten raw beets many times and i've had beet juice for years with no problems. But yesterday i pulled a small chioggia beet from my garden, washed it off and ate half of it. It was very tough and hard to chew but the taste was good so i ate it. Within minutes i started to feel a strange burning sensation on my tongue but didn't think much of it as i reached for the other half of the beet and took a bite. By that time, my entire throat was on fire and i was starting to worry that it was going to swell. I tried to relax and observe what was happening, wondering if i was going to have to call 911. The burning got worse and i drank a bunch of water, then had some orange juice thinking that the citrus would wash the beet off of my throat, but that made it burn even more. Luckily my throat didn't swell or close up, but the burning lasted all day and into the night. I went out to the garden and dug up the beet seeds i'd just planted, and replaced them with lettuce. No more beets for me!

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Someone mentioned in another post that chard burned their throat. I eat chard from the garden all the time and have no problem with it. I also put the greens from these beets in smoothies. I'm very sad about this. I used to have reactions to processed foods but i never thought it would ever happen from something i grew in the garden.
posted by:
madame7
Seattle
Advertisement

Recent topics in "Raw Vegans"